Discuss the history and evolution of public policy towards the mentally ill. Include a discussion of the following in your answer: • the almshouse,
Answers to each question should be approximately 3-4 pages. (Your completed exam should be 12-16 pages). Please put all essays in a single document. public policy
Be sure to include the readings the questions ask you to include.
Use ONLY READINGS PROVIDED.
1) Discuss the history and evolution of public policy towards the mentally ill. Include a discussion of the following in your answer:
• the almshouse,
• moral treatment,
• the conditions in state hospitals circa 1950, and
• the responses towards deinstitutionalization.
Be sure to include Grob and Goffman in your answer. (A complete answer will include the points outlined above, but will not necessarily be limited to them)
2) How does Tony’s story (Ronson reading) support and/or refute labeling theory? (It can support some points of labeling theory while refuting others.) In answering this question, please highlight 1) the strengths and weaknesses of labeling theory and 2) psychiatric diagnoses as a form social control. Bring 4 readings from this course into your answer.
3) Consider a condition of your choice (it can be one described in Conrad or another). What are the benefits and drawbacks of the medicalization of this condition? What are some of the unintended consequences? Please integrate Conrad and one other reading in your answer.
4) Define and explain three different approaches (biomedical, sociological, epidemiological, or another of your choosing) to disease of your choice. Compare and contrast each approach, the questions each approach might ask, and solutions (or “cures”) the approach might recommend. Please use at least two course readings in your answer.
Are you overwhelmed by your class schedule and need help completing this assignment? You deserve the best professional and plagiarism-free writing services. Allow us to take the weight off your shoulders by clicking this button.Get help